Translate

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Double take

A few weeks ago I was driving through the vineyards and out of the corner of my eye I spot this tiny garden. My first thought was that our farm workers were turning into hipsters, mostly because I totally thought that the scarecrow was a farm worker doing some lunch time yoga. On closer inspection it is just a simple vegetable garden with a simple scarecrow. I had to ask around to find out that the garden belongs to our vineyard manager, Miguel.
To me this is a great example of the passion you see in the wine industry. He spends 40-60 hours a week farming. He lives on the adjacent property. And yet in his spare time he is growing a garden.  This is not unusual in the wine industry. If you are invited to dinner at a winemakers home you will often get to sample both the wine they make at work and the alcoholic libations they make in their garage.
I personally cannot wait to take the next step of being a grown-up (buying a home). Once I make that move I will have space to make my own wine, cider, liqueurs or whatever spikes my interest. I also want a smoker and a vegetable garden. Ya gotta have good food to go with good wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment